2015 Survey Results
Live Survey Results
1. Your primary career goal now is to:
|Continue to climb the ladder higher||53%|
|Hang on and stay relevant||16%|
|Retire within two years||3%|
|Find a new job in the industry||16%|
|Find a new job outside the industry||9%|
|Start my own business||3%|
2. Given the changes on Wall Street since 2008, do you think there are ______________ opportunities for women to advance to the most senior positions in our industry?
3. Do you have a mentor and/or a sponsor (someone who advocates for you)?
|Yes, a mentor through a formal program at my firm||4%|
|Yes, an informal mentor, in my firm||22%|
|Yes, an informal mentor, outside of my firm||25%|
|A mentor isn’t enough. I have a sponsor, too||17%|
|I have neither a mentor nor a sponsor||32%|
4. What’s “your number?” You know, the amount you need to sustain your desired lifestyle?
|$2 – $3MM of invested assets||12%|
|$4 – $6MM||43%|
|$7 – $9MM||12%|
|More than $10MM||30%|
|How would I know what’s enough?||5%|
5. Do you serve on a public company board?
|Yes, I’m on one or more||3%|
|No, and I’ve tried, but not yet succeeded||9%|
|No, and I’m thinking about this opportunity||27%|
|No, I’m not interested in being on a public board or my employment forbids this||20%|
|No, but I’m on non-profit board(s)||41%|
6. Have you tried using the Amy Cuddy “Power Pose?”
|Yes, and it helped||16%|
|Yes, and it didn’t make a different||5%|
|I never heard of this yoga position||52%|
7. What is the most successful thing you’ve done over the past year to advance your career?
|Being true to myself||Said “yes”|
|Stopped worrying about the small things|
|Executive coach||Asked for help|
|Mentored others||Changed firms|
Pre Event Survey Results
1. Where are you right now in your career?
|Exactly where I want to be, doing what I want to do||40%|
|Where I want to be, doing what I want to do, but not receiving appropriate compensation or recognition||34%|
|Receiving appropriate compensation, but not doing what I want to do||0%|
|Not at all where I want to be and I need help getting there||17%|
|I don’t know where I want to be but it’s not where I am now||9%|
2. What is the biggest barrier to your success?
|I’m my own worst enemy – I need to have more confidence in myself and ask for what I want||28%|
|Lack of sponsors to push me and provide opportunities||44%|
|I’m not willing to make the necessary sacrifices||14%|
|I can’t afford to take the financial risk||10%|
|I’m afraid to fail. These days, I’d prefer to play it safe and keep my head down||3%|
3. When it comes to communicating effectively in meetings, high-level women on Wall Street perform ________ compared to men in similar roles.
|About the same||40%|
4. When it comes to your own effectiveness in meetings, you score yourself as ________ compared to your male counterparts.
|About the same||83%|
5. Women often have a perception that men do a better job negotiating for themselves. What do you think men do better than women? (Check all that apply)
|Men ask for what they want||83%|
|Men actively prepare for the negotiation and figure out what they want in advance||29%|
|Men discuss and test out their negotiating ideas on others||14%|
|Men assume everything is negotiable||60%|
|Nothing – men and women are equally good at this||9%|
6. In general, Wall Street women exhibit ________ confidence than men in similar roles.
7. You tend to exhibit ________ confidence than men in similar roles
|About the same||53%|